Welcome

Welcome to my Earth Art blog. Enjoy! --Kelsey Robinson

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Andy Goldsworthy

As I have been reading through our textbook and doing some Google searches in relation to Earth Art, I have found a favorite artist by far.  Andy Goldsworthy has some very interesting pieces, though the majority of his works are preserved simply by photograph.  His art is not always permanent, but it is beautiful in that he takes the ordinary and makes it extraordinary.
          "I enjoy the freedom of just using my hands and "found" tools--a sharp stone, the quill of a feather,    thorns. I take the opportunities each day offers: if it is snowing, I work with snow, at leaf-fall it will be with leaves; a blown-over tree becomes a source of twigs and branches. I stop at a place or pick up a material because I feel that there is something to be discovered. Here is where I can learn. "--Andy Goldsworthy

All photos here are copyright Andy Goldsworthy
 Here Goldsworth took Rowan leaves and arranged them to look like they lead into a black hole.  These piece of art is inspiring to me because I am a photographer, and I love going out into nature, and silly as it may seem, I have never thought of finding and rearranging leaves to make something like this.  I think for one of my blogs I may have an Andy Goldsworthy inspired theme.
 
His work with ice is amazing! I love icicles, and snowflakes, but its rare for us to take icicles and make stars
out of them, or spiral one around a tree. 
 
treesoul 
icestar
This icestar was constructed using only icicles and saliva then photographed in order to preserve this piece of art.
 
I will have more on him later...have to head to class.

3 comments:

  1. These pictures are really awesome. To bad this class couldn't be during the winter season, so that we could create something like the two above pictures. That would be so much fun. I also never would have thought of using flowers in the way that Goldsworth did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like Andy, it's funny though because some artist think he just makes "pretty" things. I'm sure that was not his first thought process but as the public gets ahold of your work, some artist seem to create work for their viewers. I still like him non the less, have you looked at his earlier work? I think you'd enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how Andy worked with the natural color of the leaves. When intense colors are put together so closely the work almost looks surreal and like the leaves are dyed.

    ReplyDelete