Welcome

Welcome to my Earth Art blog. Enjoy! --Kelsey Robinson

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Jack-O-Lanterns--Earth Art?

I was taking a walk through my neighborhood yesterday, working on a photo assignment for an online photo school I do, and as I was walking, I noticed just about every house had a pumpkin or jack-o-lantern on their front yard.  It made me think about Earth Art in a different way, yet again...Pumpkins do come from the earth and since it's that time of year, I thought I would post some VERY artsy pumpkins.
 This pumpkin is sort of creepy, but the amount of detail the artist managed to put into his pumpkin carving really is quite astonishing...It makes my really simple witch pumpkin looks stupid...



 

 Then of course, there are those who incorporate known pieces of art into their pumpkin carvings, making me hope they are professional artists, and if they aren't, they should be.
A holiday favorite, Jack Skellington, from The Nightmare Before Christmas, followed by the Predator...
















The Giant squid that took up residence in Illinois...





I attempted to make Cinderella's carriage out of my pumpkin last year, and for whatever reason, I cannot find the pictures I took of it, so I am substituting with an image found through Google...

These pumpkins aren't exactly what I was seeing on everyone's stoop as I worked on my Travellogue, but those will come in the next blog.  I just thought it might be fun to look at a less formal version of Earth Art, if that is the right way of phrasing it.  Happy Haunting, and Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

  1. Cool pictures, and I have never thought about it either, but I suppose that pumpkins are a less formal class of Earth Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the pumpkins would be earth art. You could definitely leave them out and let them rot naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is interesting to you, you should google food art! I think food is a very interesting and different type of medium. It could be sculpture/earth art, seeing that the pieces are 3D and that it is a medium directly taken from nature.

    ReplyDelete